Monday, October 5, 2009

"marriages were usually economic arrangements to ensure bloodlines..."

"Classical Greece was truly a man's world.. "


Wow. I am watching "The History of Sex" on The History Channel. It's very interesting because in classical greece there is a HUGE DOUBLE STANDARD around sex going on. The guys are out philandering with all these different call girls and then they still say that their 'dutiful' wives are the ones that are insatiable! WTF!!?

This makes no sense to me. But this is ancient greece! Those times have come and gone for sure. And I am glad. But the gender roles have not really changed. It is still largely considered okay for a man to have a large number of sexual partners 'notching the belt' if you will. And then women are shunned when it comes to the amount of her sexual partners or should she let on about her sexual prowess she will be looked on as nothing more than a sexual feast for a male passerby.

I have read a great deal about this conundrum that seems to be centuries old. The women, or the girl, lets say is supposed to be virginal and 'untouched' this is the image we as a society have created around women. And so it becomes almost a sociopath tendency for a woman to break from this mold in any way. However, many women do break this mold. Me being one of them, I would like to think. I don't know, perhaps you should ask my boyfriend and see what he tells you along the lines of the subject of me and my sociopath tendencies around my sex life and my sexual experiences.


Aaaagh. I don't know why I put so much importance on this subject! Well, because it's really important to me! Women need to be liberated! Did you know that in 13 states in this nation it is legal for pharmacy workers to deny a woman any form of birth control for 'religious differences' ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!

Not to mention that Texas is one of these states, and in Texas it's not uncommon for a 16 year old who just had unprotected sex to be upwards of 200 miles from the nearest pharmacy that she can go to for help. SO SHE IS PRETTY MUCH SCREWED and here we go 'welcoming' another child into the world that is not prepared for and/or loved! OMG. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! Right now as I type this up, anti choice forces are getting together and pooling their respective resources and trying to slash funding for local community health resources like Planned Parenthood!! WTF?! I go there for my GYN care. Come on now, I don't have actual insurance, I have medicaid and medicaid cannot cover everything, not saying that all insurance can cover everything, but I don't want to get cervical cancer!!

WE CANNOT AFFORD TO GO BACKWARDS, PEOPLE!

Okay, so I live in NYC why am I complaining? BECAUSE THE RELIGIOUS RIGHT IS TRYING TO SODOMIZE ME AS WELL! Okay, that was an odd choice of words maybe. But I DON'T CARE!! I will stand for reproductive freedom and for sexual freedom for women until the day I die, which is not going to be for a long time, like I explained in my last post.

I have really been ranting long enough, but I will tell you, my heart rate is really up. It is racing, my hackles are up and my hands are shaking. This is an issue that is very important to me and it's not just a woman's issue. Men need to look into this too, you men need to know your reproductive rights as well (especially your custody rights) because unfortunately for you, many states would rather the child you share in common live with his or her mother, even if you are a much more fit parent than she. It is truly sad because I surely have seen a comeuppance of very responsible single fathers who are really stepping up their game.

Okay, this is all for now, I feel a lot better after getting all this off my chest. Whew.

No comments: