Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Lamp

I was hanging out with my good friend Dan yesterday, he messaged me on gchat and said happy birthday and asked what I was up to. I wasn't doing anything so I invited him over to my place in Harlem, but then he called me and told me he could not make it because he had to wait for a delivery, so I went out to his place in Jersey.

We were catching up and I asked him about a story that he had told me in a nutshell on gchat before I left.
Dan was dating this girl who he had developed strong feelings for. He asked her to move in with him and she agreed and so he spent six weeks looking for a place that they could share. He found an awesome place in Jersey, and her parents even really liked it. The girl even signed move in papers with him.

Last Thursday, he called her up and asked when they were going to get a moving truck up to her place. She hesitates and says "Um" which is never a good answer when you are planning on moving in with someone that you say you are in love with. Dan pressed her for more details and she says that she doesn't like New Jersey, then he asked her what her other motivations were and she said that she has not been being honest with him, and last weekend she was not hanging out with her friends, she was hanging out with another man.

Dan deduces with his very smart and sharp witted brain that this girl has been lying to him bold face for about a month and he promptly exiles her to ex girlfriend ville.

He calls her later that night and asks her to come by his place the next day and pick up her belongings, which he gathered together and placed by the door. She does this and leaves her keys, but in the spare room, she leaves a $45 dollar lamp from Home Depot.

Seriously?

A Lamp?

That's not a very good consolation prize for being cheated on, lied to and screwed over about 5k for rent for the year.

I felt really bad for Dan and I told him that he did not deserve such childish behavior. Hanging out with him also made me feel better about my recent childish behavior that I displayed to my ex. Ah, that's what friends are for.

No comments: