Monday, March 22, 2010

Picnic Date in the Park

I went on a date last week with a nice, handsome man that I met on OkCupid. We went out to dinner on the very rainy and blustery day that was last Saturday. Our conversation flowed, even though we were both a bit nervous. I got to the restaurant first, he was delayed because of slow train traffic.

I saw him when he walked in the door, craning his head and neck above all the restaurant patrons to see if he could see me. I was seated over at a small table to the left of the door, close to the wall, so I took the opportunity to observe him fro a few seconds before I alerted him to my location.

He was tall and very good looking. Of course, I had seen photos of him from his profile, but one can only hope that people are honestly portrayed in said photos. He had strawberry blond hair, a bit shaggy and brown eyes. I was very happy to be having him as my dinner date for the evening.

I took a deep breath and waved him over to my small waiting table, and we waited about two minutes to be seated.

When we got settled, I gifted him with something I picked up from my favorite store ever. He seemed a little bit flustered over this, but I assured him that it didn't cost me very much at all, and I had already bought three things for myself.

I quite enjoyed the rest of the evening, and after dinner we walked to the train station and he gave me a hug goodbye. The next day we decided that we would go on a second date.

On the second date we started off at the lower end of Central Park and set up a picnic. It was a gorgeous day, and very much the last Saturday's opposite in every way conceivable, which was great for me because I got to wear a dress and show off my legs.

We were having an easy time chatting and munching on some food I had store bought from Fairway and his home made pesto pasta, which was very tasty. About halfway through the picnic, we were approached by two women who greeted us warmly and gifted us with lollipops and a water bottle and a business card for a church and then they invited us to come and spend Easter with them at their church.

I had a little back and forth banter with the two ladies, and I asked them what denomination they were, and they had a very vague and unconvincing answer.

We packed up the picnic and walked downtown to see if we could go to a costume shoppe, but we got there too late and the proprietor had already left, so we decided to go for ice cream cookie sandwiches instead.

After that, I had to go take care of my dog in Brooklyn so we headed over there and took him for a walk and fed him, and then we left to go to dinner in the village. Then, we went to a record shoppe and browsed around and then finally went to the subway and parted ways.

At some point during the date, we discovered that we have differing views on which pizza place has the best pizza in NYC, and I am on Team Grimaldi's and he is on Team Di Fara's. On Wednesday we are going to begin to settle the score by going to dinner at Grimaldi's.

Grimaldi's for the win!!

I like the pace that we are taking things so far, it is such a refreshing change, and I don't feel rushed at all. Time will tell where this takes us, but I like the start.

No comments: