Wednesday, March 31, 2010

On thinking the elevator in my building may be rigged.

So, you may recall that a few weeks ago I walked into the elevator of my building and overheard a possible drug deal. This left me more than a little inquisitive about the folks that live in my building.

Yesterday I stepped into the elevator to go check the mail before I had to go out. There was a short Hispanic woman in the elevator already, she had long, black hair, horn rimmed glasses, dark, deep set eyes and she was about 5'2" on a good day.

She says to me "Hello!" in an abrupt, but cheerful voice.

"Hi" I say, cautiously.

"Do you read the Biblé?" She asked, while studying me with her eyes.

At first I did not understand what she was saying, as you will notice the accent mark I put on the "e" in the word "Bible." That is how she said it. "Biblé"

"Do I read the what?" I asked, incredulous.

"The Biblé, do you read the Biblé?" she persisted

"Oh! The Bible?" I ask, trying to stall

"Yes, do you?"

"Yeah, sure..." I say.

Now, here is where I must explain that I do not read the Bible. I have, in the past, read portions of the Bible, but I most certainly do not read it on a daily basis, nor do I even consider myself to be a Christian. But, I have found that when dealing with fanatics of any kind, it is best to just agree with them, lest you want to be subjected to a lengthy lecture about how their views are better than yours and that you will be cast into the fiery pits of Hell or wherever the non believers go if you don't listen and take heed.

"Do you believe in Jesus??" She presses, insistently.

"Oh, yeah" I say. "Of course!" I reassure her.

She seemed satisfied by this and finally moves on to her next victim.

No comments: