Friday, December 25, 2009

It's Christmas and I'm drinking some tea.

I'm at my mom's for Christmas and I am spending it with my brother, my mom, my mom's boyfriend Steve and the dogs Heyduke (boxer) and Beethoven (Cockapoo). Later today we are going to go over to my grandparents house and have Christmas dinner.

I am kind of worried about my grandfather though. He is 91 and he just got over a nasty bout with Lyme Disease. He went to the hospital and said things like "Get  me out of this joint!" and he was in and out of lucidity the whole time. Apparently the hospital staff gave him a drug that was supposed to calm him down so they could give him an MRI, but it had the opposite effect on him, causing him to become agitated and delusional.

I have to say that I am not really surprised by this, because everyone in our family seems to have bad reactions to drugs. I took Geodon and could not walk, AT ALL and had to go to the emergency room TWICE and get a saline IV for two hours at the hospital.  And the ambulance EMT thought I was on heroin, yeah fun times.

After that I took Abilify and it locked up my joints so much it was hard for me to walk. I didn't have to go to the hospital for that, I just stopped taking it, and I stopped going to the shrink that was prescribing me the wrong drugs.

But I digress.

My grandfather, also known as Conka. Well, all the time known as Conka, got over his bout with Lyme Disease and he had a visiting nurse service and everything, even though he didn't let them help him with anything and they probably got yelled at a lot. Well, he just recently fell over while he was putting on his pants and hit his head and knocked himself out. My aunt called 911 and he got taken to the hospital. My grandmother "Ga"  (who lost her mind about ten years ago) was so hysterical she started hyperventalating.

When he got to the hospital, my mom showed up who didn't see him fall over. The doctors ended up thinking that he fainted and fell, and at this time my aunt had shown up and she said, no that he didn't faint, he tripped and fell. For some reason, if you trip and fall and give yourself a concusion, you can go home from the hospital no questions asked, but if you faint, you have to stay.

So he goes home with my mom and my aunt, and then my aunt told him to use his walker for the next 48 hours because he was not allowed to fall over and injure himself again. Of course he kept forgetting to use his walker and he fell over again. But this time he did not knock himself out.

I hope he makes it through another holiday's in any case. He's an awesome guy.

No comments: