Tuesday, June 15, 2010

double take

An elderly woman, with gray, dreadlocked hair, piled up on top of her head and pinned together, with chocolate brown skin, wearing a simple cotton outfit, was hunched over a New York City green trash can bin, which one can find on any street corner, scrubbing the inside of it furiously.

She was doing this vigorous scrubbing on the corner across from my apartment, and I noticed her as I was waiting to cross the street, heading towards the deli. I looked backwards at her as I crossed the street, checking to see if I had actually seen this, or if I was hallucinating the whole thing. I have seen a lot of things in New York City, but I sure as heck have never seen and elderly woman bent over a green trash can scrubbing the inside of it furiously.

Where did all the trash inside the bin go? There was a red shopping cart perched to the left of the woman, with a huge burlap sack covering the shopping cart concealing the inner contents.

As I was walking away, I thought to myself "maybe this woman has schizophrenia?" Why else would she be doing that kind of repetitive behavior?

I put it out of my mind and walked over to the deli and picked up some orange juice and a chicken quesadilla for dinner.

I walked in to my apartment, passed the front desk on my left, and casually said hi to the door lady on duty. Behind me I could hear her talking to a delivery guy.

I watched the elevator door close and make its way up to the tenth floor without anyone in it. Frustrating. I could have made it, if I wanted to run. I wait over by the elevator and press the call button four or five times, as if that will be the time that will make the difference and the elevator will magically appear at the lobby for me.

I mention to the pizza delivery guy "dang, we just missed it"

he smiled wordlessly and perched himself on the windowsill. The elevator continued to wait on the 10th floor refusing to make its decent to the lobby to pick us up. Tired of waiting, the delivery boy decided to take the stairs.

"Are you really going to take the stairs?!" I ask.

"I have to, miss" he mumbles

Okay, internet, I have something to share with you. You do not ever want me to deliver your pizza to you, because I am telling you right now, if your elevator takes a while to pick me up, I am waiting for the elevator and your pizza will be cold. There is no way in HELL I am going to carry your pizza up an enormous amount of stairs just so you can be better served. Uh uh. No way.

No comments: