Friday, June 18, 2010

all on the walk home

I got off the subway and began the five block walk from the subway to the front door of my building. As I was crossing the second crosswalk, I stumbled a bit and the man who happened to be passing me at that time said to me "You drunk?" and kept walking.

I giggled and brushed off what he said and continued my journey forward. I was getting closer and closer to my building with each step, I could see the green awning with the cursive numbers, signaling my journey home almost complete. I was thinking to myself about how it was so funny that that guy had assumed I was drunk because I stumbled, when in reality, I actually stumble sometimes because I have Cerebral Palsy. I felt like I got away with something huge, and that I tricked him into believing I was drunk and that that's not just what happens to me sometimes when I walk. I had a huge grin on my face, and I was consumed in my own amusement.

"That's a nice smile you have, what is your name?" says a man's voice.

"Thanks" I say.

"You live close by?" He asks.

I just look to the ground and shake my head.

We continue to walk in silence.

"You never told me your name." He says.

"Sarah" I say.

"Sarah.. I am José" He says.

"I have a boyfriend" I say.

"Oh, sure you don't want some company? I have a nice bottle of wine here." He mentions, as he holds up a black deli bag with a mysterious bottle inside it.

"No." I say.

"Ok, have a nice night." He says and then turns the corner away from me, much to my relief.

No comments: