Friday, February 5, 2010

Watering eyes

My eyes are watering profusely, out of both sides of my eyes. I would say that I am crying, but I don't know what I am sad about. I think my eyes are just washing away all the debris and protein that are left over from me sleeping in this last pair of contacts one too many times. Yup. Today is a glasses wearing day.

I have to poop really badly and one of my roommates is in the shower.

Yes, I really did want to share that with all of you because living with roommates can be a pain sometimes for this very reason.

My cell phone is off and I have decided that I do not want to turn it on today. Sometimes you just need a day or so to detach from the world of calls and texts and further demands on your time that a cell phone brings, so my intention for today is to leave it at home, and to come back late in the evening so there is no way that I can turn it on.

I am still old enough to be in one of the last generations to remember what it was like not to have a cell phone or a computer. Does anyone remember those days? The days when I had 10 plus family and friends phone numbers memorized in my head, that I could recall instantly without giving much thought?

Now, I am lucky if I remember my own mother's cell phone number. Thank God I have it saved in my phone, otherwise I would not be able to call her.

It was nice to be able to go out after school with friends and not have to worry about your mother or father harassing you about your whereabouts and when you think you might be home. Ah, the good old days. I can just see myself now, when I am old and wise yelling at the newest generation of teenagers and saying:

"Now, you young whippersnappers can speak telepathically to each other, when I was your age, we had these things called cell phones and we had to physically dial them and hold them to our ears and we had to carry them around everywhere we went! You have it easy! All you do is think a thought in your head and send it over to your friend and violá! You are at the movies! Isn't that so easy?! Well, not in MY day. In my day you had to take out your phone, and sometimes you would have to open it up, and then you would have to look through your contacts because you can't remember the number for the life of you, and then you would find the right contact number and then you would have to press send and wait for the ringer, and then it would ring a few times and then your friend would pick up and then you would be able to make plans for the movies. Sometimes, we would have to leave what's called a voicemail, it's a recording that is meant for the person to hear later. BUT YOU KIDS DON'T HAVE TO BOTHER WITH VOICEMAIL, DO YOU?

And then I would mutter: "Ungrateful brats" under my breath and think they don't know how good they have it, and how HARD it was in my day.

Yup, I can just see it now.

No comments: