Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Man on the Train

I sat across from a man on the train today.  This is him:

As you can see, he has no shirt on. He also smelled, but he wasn't overbearingly smelly. He asked me the time, I told him and he said thank you. There was also no one sitting around him. Some people stepped into the train, looked at him with disgust, and moved to the other end of the car. Other people walked into the car, covered their nose and mouth with their arm, and scurried as fast as possible into the next car, while giggling or saying things like "Oh, my god" or "Whaaaat?" or "Ewwwww"

I have my own unanswered questions for this guy like "How did you get to this point in life where you are sitting on the train with no shirt on and smelly?"

I don't know, internet. But I do know that my heart sank watching the actions of my fellow humans earlier today. What did this man do to anyone? Whatever he did or did not do does not make it okay for anyone to turn their noses up in disgust at him.

He is human. He has a heart. He has feelings.

When we hate one person, we are hating ourselves, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Méla! (I don't know how I ended up on your blog. I think it was from a photo of you on Flickr.. hope you're having a good day)

Mela said...

Thanks, Eddie!

I hope you liked the photo on flickr and that you are also having a good day!